Monday, November 10, 2014

Running with the Overachievers

Distance Run: 3.94 miles
Time: 44:36

Pace: 11:18 min/mi
Most Challenging Moment: The grim realization that I am very slow
Most Inspiring Moment: Boston! Sunrise! City! Life!


For years, I've wanted to be one of those bright, beautiful people who jump out of bed with the sunrise and spend their day with the glow that can only come from smugly getting your exercise in before breakfast. But the reality of the situation (my bed is warm and comfy, exercise is cold and hard), meant it never happened.

The past week, I've been spoiled. With my mom in town, providing free babysitting to Iris (aka Support Staff: Baby Level), I've been able to take my runs whenever I wanted.

But my mom is back in New Jersey, which means if I want to run, I've got to schedule it for the hours before Dave (Support Staff: Husband Level) goes off to work. And so I have to wake up early.

I was actually so excited to get up early and run that I dreamed about it. This should count as some kind of super-exercise. By the time I got out onto the street, I couldn't wait to start running and officially join the ranks of the Early Morning Exercisers.

Unfortunately, it did not take long for me to realize that I am not yet one of them.

"Why am I going backwards?" I kept wondering, as runner after runner shot past me. Turns out the kind of person who wakes up at six AM to go running is also the kind of person who is really really fast. I was clearly out of my element, as evidenced by the fact that I was taking pictures of the sunrise like it was some kind of rare natural phenomenon.

At least I looked the part enough that an out-of-town runner asked me which way the river was. "Just keep running in that direction!" I said, unhelpfully. I later saw him running toward the Common.

Abby discovers crew; is not impressed, possibly scared

No comments:

Post a Comment