Monday, November 24, 2014

Island Hopping

Distance Run: 4.22 miles
Time: 57:18
Pace: 13:35 min/miles
Most Challenging Moment: Running without Abby... into driving rain... that messed up my contacts... so I couldn't see... and eventually got lost
Most Inspiring Moment: WASN'T COLD.

Before Dave and I head off to visit family for Thanksgiving, I decided to take a short trip with Iris to Martha's Vineyard, to see my parents and take advantage of their baby sitting skills so I can get some work done.

I actually really like running on the beach, and I pictured myself jogging along the ocean at sunrise, birds chirping, seals leaping in the ocean, the perfect antidote to city running. And it was beautiful!

...on Sunday, when I slept in.

On Monday, it was wet and so windy that I think the government should look into weaponizing rain.


This run was... not easy.

First, I left my running partner back in Boston, which meant I no longer had Abby's boundless puppy enthusiasm dragging me onward against my will. Also, I decided to start my run by going into the rain, for reasons that seemed logical at the time but now escape me. This meant that I spent the first fifteen minutes with my hat pulled over my eyes, because otherwise I would be immediately blinded by driving rain.


False.
Luckily, no one else was out there, otherwise they would have heard me going "AAACCCCGGGGHHHTTTTT [gasp for breath] AAAAARRRRRRRHHHHH!!!"

The only good thing about running in weather so miserable that it immediately convinced me to buy a waterproof iPhone case and headphones is that it wasn't cold. I mean, waking up this morning to howling wind had me seriously wondering if I would get today's run in or if I would continue to hit the snooze button until Iris was in college. I braced myself as I opened the door, and then...

It was almost... balmy? By the end of the run, I'd taken off my gloves and scarf and probably could have run in long sleeves. Beach weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment