Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Foggy Morning

Distance Run: 3.83 miles
Time: 41:34
Pace: 10:51
Most Challenging Moment: Abby sets the pace running over the Harvard Bridge; I almost lose a lung
Most Inspiring Moment: MacGyvered my regular bra into a sports bra with a safety pin and some creativity

There's supposed to be a building in this picture
When I woke up this morning, I checked the weather for the day. "Low fog," it said. "Poor visibility."

"Huh," I thought. "I wonder what that means for my run."

What it meant was that Boston's skyline was effectively erased and I felt a little like I was running inside a cloud.

The weather did nothing to stop The Overachievers, though, and now, after watching them for two runs, all I can think is how are they so fast? I'll be moving along at what I think is a decent clip, only to be left in the dust by two guys amiably chatting about advanced physics (I run next to MIT).

The one time I tried talking while running, with my marathon-winning brother-in-law (turns out a brisk warm-up jog for him is a strenuous work out for me), convinced me that you can use oxygen either for running OR talking, but not both. I'm pretty sure everyone who runs at 6AM in Boston is an X-Man.

At least constantly being passed by literally every single runner I came across inspired me to try to pick up my pace, so coming home over the Harvard Bridge I gave Abby free rein to go as fast as she wanted. She usually trots by my side in a sort of fast walk, so when I gave her the go-ahead to run, her response was YES LET'S DOOOO THIS!!! RUN! RUN FASTER! RUUUUN FAAAASTERRRR!!!! She's like the most adorable hard-core trainer in the world.

A photo of the fabled land of Brigadoon

No comments:

Post a Comment