Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Observations from the Long(fellow) Run

Distance Run: 4.9 miles
Time: 53:18
Pace: 10:52 min/mil
Most Challenging Moment: The treat bag burst open, raining Zukes mini training treats (peanut butter flavor) all over the Harvard Bride (note: this is also Abby's Most Inspiring Moment)
Most Inspiring Moment: I hit a stride!

The first time I ran the Longfellow Bridge, I was so confused by the various detours and open construction sites that I didn't pay much attention to my actual surroundings. Which was a shame! Because the Longfellow Bridge is adorable.


Look! Poetry! Even Abby was intrigued.


I love a bridge that provides reading material.


In the underpass on the Cambridge side, I spotted this colorful dog graffiti that seemed a little risque for the blog (hence the privacy bar). But still! Giant dog cartoon! Poems! And I didn't even get photos of the salt-and-pepper columns or the charmingly rusted balustrade.

On the other side of the bridge, I decided to skip trying to cross Memorial Drive to get to the river and instead run to the Harvard Bridge on the MIT side. It was...a change of scenery?

Even the construction sites are intelligent!


It was about this point where I remembered Abby's aversion for heavy machinery and two seconds after this moment that a bulldozer charged down the street to our left while a crane fired up on our right. Poor pup. It was like I'd shoved her down some sort of narrow chute of inexplicable terrors and loud noises.


We finally made it past the construction unscathed, and when we reached the Harvard Bridge, we both flew. It was great! Usually I sort of shuffle-shuffle-run while Abby bobs aimlessly around me, but for a few seconds there, we were in total sync, feeling great, running fast. My favorite thing about this moment was how every now and then Abby would turn and look back at me with a huge puppy grin and do this little hop like she was trying to give me a high five. I imagine her inner monologue went something like this:

"YEAH WE'RE RUNNING!"

[hop]

"LET'S KEEP DOING IT!"

[hop]

"I WILL NEVER STOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPP!!!"

[hop-hop]

Then I spilled the bag of treats everywhere and she was like hold on, gotta eat this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment