Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Marathon Training: It Gets Real

Distance: 3 miles
Time: ????
Pace: ?!?!?!
Most Challenging Moment: My iPhone battery dies
Most Inspiring Moment: Caught up to the garbage truck to throw away the poop bag

Up to this point, my marathon training has been what they call "building up a base." Although at my pre-baby peak, I was doing about 20 miles a week, post-baby I'd work up a huff waddling down to the mailbox. So when I decided to train for the marathon, I had to pre-train, getting myself up to a solid, comfortable 12-15 miles a week.

But with the marathon now 18 weeks(!!!!) away, it's time for me to step up my game and follow a real training plan.

I'm using Hal Higdon's Novice 2 plan, which combines short runs, long runs, cross training, and (my favorite) rest days. Today's run was supposed to be an easy 3 miles, but it turned out to be particularly challenging for a few reasons.

1. She's back! And pleased to discover that there are squirrels in the suburbs.


2. She hasn't established a favorite "business" spot, leading to an unscheduled stop near the beginning of our route, which was fine except no garbage cans.

3. The good news? There was a garbage truck ahead! The bad news? Garbage trucks go fast.


I did manage to catch up and throw it away, but just as I was feeling triumphant, my iPhone (which also tracks my distance and pace) finally died (possibly because I was busy taking pictures of garbage trucks).

Also, there are hills in suburbia, and apparently running up half a flight of stairs to get to a pedestrian bridge does not compare. I thought I was having a hard time, and then I looked down at my panting, heaving, tongue-lolling dog. Us city folk need some conditioning.

Five miles tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment