Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Real Reason I Run: The Kids at Codman

As much as I write about getting lost and Abby chasing squirrels, every time I get out there and run, I think about the same thing: doing it for the kids of Codman Academy. I am one hundred percent positive that if I just decided one day to wake up and run a marathon, I would have quit long ago. Whenever my alarm clock goes off and I just want to throw the covers over myself and hit snooze, I remember that I'm helping support some amazing kids, and it just gets that much easier to hop out of bed and lace up my sneakers.

Which is why I was thrilled to accept an invitation to visit the school this morning!


First off, as a YA writer, I often meet teens at different events, and time and again, I am blown away by their intelligence, thoughtfulness, humor, and wisdom. The kids of Codman Academy were no exception.


I've heard a lot about Codman from my friend, Greg, a dean at the school and the person who said offhand to me and Dave several months ago, "Hey, if you guys are ever thinking about running the marathon..." I knew they have a tight-knit community that celebrates achievement in all forms, and this was a big reason why I wanted to run for them. It was amazing to see in person how this community operates, from the little skits the kids put on to a full-on a capella performance to--oh man--a beautiful and powerful speech by one of the school's seniors.


It was so amazing and inspiring to hear this young woman speak about difficult moments that shape her life and her perspective. I saw her passion, hope, anger, and wisdom as she shared her experiences, seeing herself as both "an African-American scholar" and "a black girl from the hood." It was an eloquent and emotional speech that touched on so many difficult topics--race, privilege, gentrification, culture, history, identity.

She had a wisdom and presence well beyond her years, and she finished her speech by pointing out that the moments that make you uncomfortable are the moments that change you, make you learn about yourself, and grow.

I've sat in a lot of school assemblies and witnessed a lot of half-asleep kids barely paying attention (and I've been that half-asleep kid, too). But as she spoke, you could practically feel how much her fellow students were soaking in everything she had to say. It was truly amazing to witness, and I could see why and how Codman was a place where this young woman--and students like her--could flourish. It's a special place.

By the time I was called up to speak, I was pretty nervous, and I'm pretty sure I babbled something about my book and the fact that I was running for them, but public speaking being the literal opposite of what I do every single day, I'm not sure I was super articulate.

The one thing I did remember to do was pull out my camera and take a photo of them. As soon as I said "This is going on my blog!" a dozen kids ran up to get in the shot--and here they are!


I try not to talk too much about fundraising on this blog, because I get it--people have a lot of demands on their time and wallet. But I think it's important for you to see the community that you could help support. These kids are truly amazing, and it is such an honor to be running for them, spreading the word about them and everything they achieve.

This school dreams big and pushes its students to dream big, and I believe so strongly in their goals and vision. Your dollars would play a vital role in achieving those goals and supporting this community.

One of the reasons I write YA fiction is because I believe inspiring kids, opening them up to new ideas, and challenging them is some of the most important work a person can do. And I'm running for the same reason. Want to be a part of that?

No comments:

Post a Comment