Monday, January 5, 2015

Friends Come to Visit!

Distance: 6.02 miles
Time: 1:07:12
Pace: 11:09 min/mil
Most Challenging Moment: Six inch slush puddles that look like solid ground
Most Inspiring Moment: Running buddy!

We're coming off a weekend of all our friends coming to visit, thanks to the big economics conference that landed in Boston for the past few days. It was wonderful! We ate out, went for long walks, Iris managed to snuggle with and/or throw up on all her uncles and aunties, and Abby got hours of devoted head scratches--we were spoiled.

Also spoiled? Me! Because I got to take along a running buddy for my long run yesterday.

It was a slushy, rainy, cold run, and part of me felt like a bad hostess for bringing Soraya (Support Staff: Friend Level) out in the weather, especially since we got soaked from knee to toes in about eight seconds.


I tried to turn it into a tour of Boston, but after running down Comm Ave, crossing the Harvard Bridge, and turning past MIT, my tour highlights were restricted to "Oh I biked across this bridge once..." "No, I don't know where those train tracks go to..." "Yeah, so...that's the river..." 

This was also my first time going west along the river, so when we discovered this cool bridge, we stopped to take pictures!


Soraya didn't want to be featured on the blog, despite being my #1 reader, but I told her I had to get a picture of her skeleton running tights.


"I'll take a picture of you!" she said. "Look like you're running!"


(not accurate)

By the time we made it home, the icy rain had picked back up again, which bothered Soraya more than me because she needed to go to the bathroom (I feel okay writing about this on the blog because for the last 20 minutes that's all she could talk about). We stumbled home soaking wet and then spent the rest of the day swaddled in knitwear, steadily eating back all the calories we had burned off (ooooh, which reminds me: there are brownies in my bag...).

I never quite know what to expect with these long runs, but in spite of the foul weather and distance, this was so lovely! Abby is a good running companion but sort of the strong, silent type, so it was a wonderful change to chat it up while we ran.

Our friends are back in Chicago now, and we all already miss them loads. Come back soooooon!

No comments:

Post a Comment