Monday, March 2, 2015

Ain't No Spring Chicken

Distance: 18 miles
Time: 3:13:39 (plus a few minutes for my water/eat/pee break)
Pace: 12:08 min/mil
Most Challenging Moment: ankle :(
Most Inspiring Moment: Suuuuunny daaaaay!

I made it home alive from last weekend's long run, the ever-daunting 18 miler! This time, I took my rest days seriously, carbed up the night before, and fueled myself with my new Nuun water tablets and a literal brick of protein.

It was sunny, relatively warm,* and aside from the ice skating rink that is the Cambridge river run, the sidewalks were in pretty good condition. I had Sleater-Kinney's new album playing on Spotify and I was feelin' fine.



Around halfway through, I stopped to have a bottle of water and bought a protein bar. It was, like, as thick as my arm. I looked at it and started laughing. It was also covered in chocolate, and I got a lot of satisfaction from stopping my run to eat candy. "I'm being so healthy!"

The only potential problem, which I'm hoping will be resolved soon, is that my notoriously terrible left foot is acting up again. I actually had to have foot surgery on this foot several years ago, when a tricky extra bone was messing up the muscles and tendons and causing around-the-clock pain. Since then, my foot's always been a bit of a diva. I have to wrap it up for ballet class, and I somehow twisted it walking up a gentle slope when I was eight months pregnant (real great).

I wrapped it up during my run, and it felt okay when I got home. Now I'm keeping it wrapped and respecting my rest days by actually resting and not, like, taking the kid for a three-mile walk in snow boots. Fingers crossed it takes the hint and heals up so I can tackle this week's mileage (that would be 31 miles...).


Some fun deliveries arrived! First, this t-shirt and sweet note from the folks at Codman Academy! This is my "warrior face."


And look what showed up in the mail!


My hats, which I'd left behind in Bretton Woods, finally made it home. This is actually the second time the white hat has been lost and found. The first time I left it behind going through security at JFK airport and only realized when I arrived in Boston. But in a weird travel fluke, Dave, flying from Chicago, missed his original flight, took another one routed through New York, and managed to rescue it from TSA's clutches. I promise I'm responsible.


Welcome back, guys!


*It was 19 degrees. "Relatively warm."

No comments:

Post a Comment