Wednesday, April 15, 2015

5 Days Until the Marathon!

Today was my third-to-last training run before the marathon, and I was pumped. It's a beautiful day in Boston, sunny and cool, the kind of weather that has everyone out on the streets, smiling at each other in a very uncharacteristically Boston manner.


I got dressed in my marathon gear: my new Team Codman running shirt, capri pants, headband, socks, sneakers, and I ran out to Bolyston to see the scaffolding in place for the finish line.


It was so cool to see the city getting ready for Monday. Copley square was covered in scaffolding, tents were already up on the Common, and everyone was talking about the race. I had an easy, lovely, effortless three mile run, where I enjoyed the sunshine and good music and didn't even think about time and pace.


This was a good run for me, not just because I felt good and it's a nice day outside, but because there's a part of me that's genuinely nervous about having to run a marathon. The 20-mile dress rehearsal was a great experience, but also really, really tough--mentally, emotionally, and physically--and every time I'd think of it and remind myself that I had to do that plus six-point-two more miles, I would get a little queasy.

But everyone who's run the Boston Marathon says it's an experience unlike any other. The crowds, adrenaline, and support are amazing. Having been in that crowd before, I know how electrifying it is to just watch something so cool, let alone be right in the middle of.

Last time I watched, I was in Kenmore Square, only a little more than a mile from the finish line. Just about every runner I saw had the hugest grin on their face. Running today, I could feel that excitement. It felt amazing to be out there in my marathon gear, representing Codman and mentally prepping for the last haul.

Only two more runs--two miles tomorrow and two miles on Sunday--before the big one! The city's getting ready and I am too!

No comments:

Post a Comment